As we enter the “dog days” of summer here in Iowa, we can expect days that near 90, 95 and even 100 degrees! It can be a challenge to stay cool on these days, especially when you are concerned about the cost of your energy bill. Today, Raccoon Valley Bank has some tips to help keep you cool and to help keep your cooling bill low throughout July and August.
- Avoid using the oven and stovetop. These appliances can quickly heat up not only the kitchen, but the entire house. Use smaller appliances like the microwave or toaster oven as they use much less energy as well.
- Using heavy duty or dark curtains can keep the sun from beating into your home. Be especially aware of the west and south facing areas of the home because those spaces are targeted by the sun during the day.
- Weather stripping the doors will keep cool air in and seal the cracks that can quickly become costly.
- Circulating air throughout the house with box fans will increase the flow of the air conditioning to each room without paying too much on your utility bill.
- Utilize your basement. A good way to stay cool in the summertime is to hang out in the basement as it is the coolest spot in the house.
- Don’t cool unused areas. Close doors and registers in rooms that are not occupied by your family.
- Install an automatic setback on your thermostat so your air will start shortly before you get home. This will save you money because it cuts back on costs during times of the day that you are not around.
We hope that these easy household fixes can help keep you cool and your summer energy bill low. As always, Raccoon Valley Bank is here for all of your banking and financial needs! Stop by or give us a call today.
Raccoon Valley Bank, Member FDIC and Equal Housing Lender