Smartphones are incredibly useful pieces of technology. Not only do they allow you to communicate, but you can also access vital information. This includes your Raccoon Valley Bank accounts accessed through Mobile Banking or your device’s web browser.
However, there are criminals who have mastered the art of gaining access to your smartphone to steal information. If you access your bank accounts on your phone, your account numbers can be stolen. The best thing to do is follow security best practices, such as the following:
- Set PINs and Passwords- take advantage of your security setting that allows you to set up a passcode. You should also enable any settings that lock your phone after a certain period of idle time.
- Don’t compromise your phone’s security settings- tampering with security settings or “jailbreaking” your phone can undo the security systems that are built in.
- Backup and secure all data- whether it’s to your computer, the cloud or an external hard drive, be sure to backup all of your data in the event you lose your phone or it is stolen.
- Research apps before you download them- read reviews and confirm that the app is legitimate before downloading. Criminals can create apps that contain malware to steal information, plant viruses and cause harm to your phone.
- Understand app permissions- apps may request access to certain data and functions on your phone. Be sure you know full well what each app is doing, and don’t forget to check the privacy settings.
- Look for apps that allow wiping and remote location- these allow you to either completely wipe data from your smartphone if it is stolen, or locate your phone if you lost it.
- Keep your smartphone’s operating system updated- this ensures security patches are in place to cover any spots that could be vulnerable.
- Be smart when on public Wi-Fi- use public Wi-Fi as little as possible. When you do, be wary of doing tasks that require personal information, such as logging in to Online Banking or submitting applications.
Following these practices gives you the best chances of staying untouched. If you notice your smartphone behaving strangely or being glitchy, contact your provider to see how they can help as this may be a symptom of your phone being hacked.
Raccoon Valley Bank, Member FDIC